Day 3: Sunburned

And I told myself I was going to do a good job staying out of the sun; our first day on the beach and I somehow neglect to wear sunscreen at all except on my face and neck.

We decided to take it easy today for my burn's sake. This morning we walked the 5 blocks or so to the grocery store. It was the first time in nearly 2 years either of us had been to a Wal-Mart. We spent most of the afternoon reading in our air conditioned room or our balcony. I use a smooth, flat seashell Robert found as a bookmark. Our hotel room has a private balcony overlooking 5th ave., Playa Del Carmen's main drag. It's two blocks off the beach, closed to motor vehicles and lined on ether side with shops that pander to tourists. It's crowded at night, and our balcony is a perfect place to people-watch.

While the sun went down, we walked along the shore north of town. It has been particularly windy, and that has made the sky a hazy orange and kicked up the sand on the beach. Robert found another shell, a boot-sized conch shell, poking out the eroded ledge of sand carved by the high waves.



























-laura

3 comments:

Wii are the Nelsons said...

I can't believe you guys haven't been to Wal-mart in that long!! Well when you come to Rexburg, I'm sure you'll be going there quite often again =D
WE ARE SUPER EXCITED TO SEE YOU GUYS! How come you guys are coming here?

Sunshine said...

Did you really find that great big shell on the beach, or did you buy it at Walmart?

katbrown said...

Now that I know you are posting pictures every day I will sleep easier! :) It looks so familiar and so fun!(except for the sunburn.)